Home News Sports Tampa Bay Rays SS Wander Franco removed from rehab assignment following setback

Tampa Bay Rays SS Wander Franco removed from rehab assignment following setback

87
0
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
WhatsApp
ReddIt
Telegram

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Wander Franco has had a setback and was removed from his rehab assignment with Triple-A Durham on Sunday because of ongoing hand soreness.

Franco, who went on the injured list July 10 with a right hamate bone injury that required surgery, hasn’t played since leaving his first rehab game Tuesday with the soreness.

The 21-year-old Franco will return to St. Petersburg, Florida, for additional treatment.

No timeframe was announced for when Franco might be able to resume playing.

Franco on Aug. 14 took on-field batting practice for the first time since his surgery. After the session, the switch-hitter said he felt great except when taking right-handed swings.

He also missed 23 games earlier this season with a strained right quadriceps. He has a .260 average with five homers and 23 RBIs over 58 games in 2022.

Franco signed a $182 million, 11-year contract in November that includes a club option for 2033. The deal could be worth up to $223 million with incentives if the club option is exercised.

He hit .288 with 18 doubles, 5 triples, 7 homers and 39 RBIs in 70 games last season and finished third in the American League Rookie of the Year voting. Franco put together a 43-game on-base streak in 2021 to tie Cincinnati’s Frank Robinson (1956) for the longest in major league history among players under 21.

Source link

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
WhatsApp
ReddIt
Telegram
Previous articleMick Mulvaney says he saw Trump rip documents in half
Next articleNetflix’s ad-supported tier may have some commercial-free content

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here